Texas League of Conservation Voters
Job Title: Executive Director
Reports to: Board of Directors
The Texas League of Conservation Voters (TLCV) is the political voice of Texas’ conservation community. We are a nonpartisan, non-profit organization dedicated to changing policies and politics to protect Texans’ environment and quality of life. TLCV’s Political Committee works to support and elect environmentally responsible candidates at the state and local levels.
TLCV’s sister organization, the Texas League of Conservation Voters Educational Fund (TLCVEF) is a tax deductible 501(c)(3) organization. The educational fund is dedicated to educating Texans on environmental issues, promoting voting and civic engagement, and raising the public profile of conservation issues.
Scope of Responsibilities
The Executive Director is responsible for all aspects of leading, funding and managing a group of organizations—Texas League of Conservation Voters, the Texas League of Conservation Voters Educational Fund and an affiliated Political Action Committee.
- Secure the financial resources necessary for the organizations to accomplish their missions; the E.D. is the primary fundraiser for the organizations;
- Serve as the primary face and ambassador of the organizations with elected officials, donors, partner NGOs and industry;
- Create and track multiple budgets and oversee the fiscal management of the organizations;
- Work closely with the Boards of Directors to guide the organizations through strategic governance challenges and opportunities;
- Mobilize the boards to maximize their networks to build the financial health of the organizations;
- Lead the boards and staff through regular planning and evaluation of the organizations’ efforts;
- Ensure legal compliance of all aspects of the financial and political/ programmatic activities of the organizations with local, state and federal regulators, especially related to maintaining firewalls of separation for charitable and political activities;
- Be an “institution-builder” and take the organizations to the next level of effectiveness.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Proven ability, experience in and passion for fundraising from both individual donors and foundations;
- Strong financial management skills and ability to build and manage multiple organizational budgets;
- Superior leadership, strategic thinking and planning skills;
- Experience in organizational management and program planning with the ability to lead and coach senior staff, develop and manage high performance teams, and the ability to delegate;
- Experience successfully working in culturally rich and diverse communities like Texas;
- Experience in legislative advocacy and political campaigns;
- Experience building and working effectively with a board of directors;
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills;
- Public speaking and earned media skills;
- Demonstrated commitment to the organizations’ missions and values;
- Understanding of existing relationships within Texas politics and the environmental community;
- Experience building long-term financial reserves within an organization;
- Understanding of 501c3, 501c4, and PAC structures and compliance issues;
- Knowledge of the environmental politics movement represented by LCV and state leagues;
- Knowledge of best practices around “leadership as governance” and highly effective governance for Boards of Directors.
Special Job Requirements
The job requires long, unpredictable hours and some weekends, especially during the legislative session and political campaign season; ability to work in fast-paced situations and handle many tasks simultaneously; ability to travel frequently around the state; commitment to working in a small, nonprofit office with a positive, respectful, friendly and collegial environment.
Compensation & Benefits
Competitive nonprofit salary based on experience, health care benefits, vacation, sick leave, and retirement. Apply:
No phone calls. Please submit a cover letter that specifically addresses how your expertise and background match the job description requirements, your resume, and three references prior to June 5, 2015. The position will remain open until it is filled. Please email all materials to TLCVapplication@gmail.com
Texas League of Conservation Voters and Texas League of Conservation Voters Educational Fund are equal opportunity employers.